For the virtual launch of OMFIF’s annual ‘Future of Payments’ report, the panel discussed the frictions involved in cross-border payments and the role that innovative technologies have to play in removing them. The panel explored both the technical and regulatory changes necessary to make payments quicker, safer, cheaper and more accessible. As the metaverse takes shape and digital currencies gain in notoriety, the panel examines whether these have the potential to improve cross-border payments, particularly for emerging markets where unreliable fiat currencies often make new solutions more attractive.
- Simon Chantry, Co-founder and Chief Information Officer, BIT
- Robert Clarkson, Chief Revenue Officer (CRO), Payonee
- Sonja Davidovic, Adviser, Innovation Hub Bank for International Settlement
- Saskia Devolder, Strategic Programme Director Cross-border Payments, SWIFT
- Chad Harper, Senior Fellow, Visa Economic Empowerment Institute
This virtual discussion is part of the OMFIF Digital Monetary Institute. The OMFIF Digital Monetary Institute is a high-level forum which convenes key policy-makers, technology experts, investors and regulators to explore the challenges, opportunities and implications of digital finance in the 2020s. See more information on OMFIF’s DMI here. Please contact email@example.com directly for membership details or register your interest below and we’ll be in touch.
Recorded on 08/12/2022